Tom yum is YUM (Get it?). This Thai soup is a mixture of sweet, sour and spicy. It is so simple to make, yet super complex in its taste. I recently posted a recipe for nam prik pao (Thai chili jam), which is used as the base for this soup. I don’t think its an exaggeration to say that this recipe is life altering.
Recipe makes 4 servings
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, cut into thirds
- 1 1″ piece of galangal or ginger, cut into slices (keep the skin on)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped into 1″ chunks
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables (carrot, onion, tomato, baby corn, broccoli)
- 1/4 cup of cubed extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 4 tsp nam prik pao (thai chili jam)
- Chopped green onion and corriander leaves (optional)
- Place 4.5 cups of water, kaffir lime pieces, galangal (or ginger) slices and lemongrass pieces into a wok. Let boil on medium-high heat.
- Once the water has come to a boil, toss in vegetables and tofu. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar and chili paste and turn off heat
- Stir for 2 minutes and add coconut milk.
- Remove galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime pieces and serve.