Pomodoro literally means tomato in Italian. This recipe really highlights that wonderful tomatoey flavour that we love in Italian cuisine. My favourite way to eat this sauce is with pasta topped with parmigiano reggiano, but lets be honest, I love almost anything topped with parm.
This sauce can be made in a slow cooker, dutch oven or standard sauce pan.
Recipe makes approx. 3 cups of sauce
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes, halved with tough core removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil, stems removed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Lightly saute onions and garlic in olive oil on medium-low heat for approx. 1 minute (15 minutes in slow cooker).
- Once the onions and garlic are fragrant, add tomatoes, basil, salt, sugar, bay leaves and 1 cup of water and let simmer on medium heat with lid on. (high heat using slow cooker).
- Once the tomatoes are soft, use a fork or tongs to remove tomato skins.
- Continue to cook down on medium-high heat for at least 30 minutes ( at least 4 hours in slow cooker).
- Remove bay leaves and blend using a hand blender before serving.