I had a salad at a restaurant with beets, oranges and fennel. I thought, “Huh, these flavours would be awesome as a hot soup”. And that is the epic story of how I decided to create this dish.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 4 servings
- 5 beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of fennel, chopped (reserve fronds)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp cream
- Preset oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix carrots, onion, fennel and beets with olive oil, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Place in oven for approx. 45 mins, until vegetable are tender
- Mix oven mixture with bouillon broth and orange juice on medium-high heat on the stove. Let simmer for 3o minutes
- Puree the mixture in a blender or with a hand blender until smooth (pass through a strainer for extra smooth consistency).
- Top each serving with a tablespoon of cream and fennel fronds. Orange zest can also be added as a garnish.
- Enjoy 🙂