I like these better than “regular” pancakes. The combination of corn, blackberries and blueberries are something special. This makes a fantastic brunch (or hangover) meal.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 6 medium pancakes
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch slurry (equal parts cornstarch & water)
- approx. 6 tsp unsalted butter
- In a sauce pan, pour in 2 cups of water, berries and 4 tbsp of sugar. Let saute on medium-high heat for approx. 15 minutes.
- Pour in cornstarch slurry into berry sauce and stir. Place on medium heat and let cook for approx. 10 more minutes until mixture is syrup texture (coats back of spoon)
- In a bowl, pour boiling water into cornmeal and let sit for approx. 10 minutes (this makes the cornmeal less grainy)
- Add all purpose flour, vanilla extract, 1 tbsp sugar, salt and baking powder to cornmeal. Slowly add in the milk while stirring. If the mixture is lumpy or too thick to pour, add more milk, one tbsp at a time.
- In a pan, add approx. 1 tsp of butter on medium heat. Pour in about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. Let cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping (you will see bubble forming on top when it is time to flip). Cook opposite side for another 2 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve pancakes with berry syrup and enjoy 🙂