Happy Superbowl Sunday!
I’ll be honest, I don’t even know who is playing today. All I know is that today is a good excuse to hang out with friends, eat yummy food and drink beer.
Keeping with this theme of honesty, I only decided to make this a couple hours ago, because I had all the ingredients for it already. Chances are, you have all or most of the ingredients as well. Cheap, delicious, and perfect game day food.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 6 medium pretzels
- 1 packet of dry active yeast (approx. 2 teaspoons)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (plus extra to grease bowl)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a nacho cheese blend)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- In a bowl, mix together yeast with 1/2 cup of room temperature water. let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes soft/creamy
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt and garlic powder. add oil, yeast mixture and half a cup of room temperature water. Knead the ingredients for at least 5 minutes. If it is too dry, add some more water (1 tbsp at a time). The mixture should form 1 ball, and should have a play-doh consistency (not sticky)
- Grease a bowl with olive oil. put the dough in the bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 45 mins – 1 hour
- In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda with 1 cup of water. Preheat the oven to 350F. Once the dough has rested and expanded, cut it into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough out into a long piece. Wrap the dough into a pretzel shape. Brush it with the baking soda mixture and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the pretzels are baking, make the cheese sauce – In a sauce pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp of flour and mix together. Add 1 cup of milk. Bring the stove to a medium heat, and slowly whisk in cheese. Keep adding cheese and stirring until the mixture is smooth. Mix in chipotle and chili powder.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter. Once the pretzels are cooked, brush with butter and serve with cheese sauce. Enjoy 🙂