Happy Chinese New Year! It is the year of the monkey, so obviously, I decided to highlight bananas this week.
Two of my all time favourite desserts are banana cream pie and crepes. I decided to marry them and create something creamy, light and delicious.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 8 medium crepes
- 1 packet instant vanilla pudding (you could also use instant banana flavour pudding)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp banana flavour extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter (plus extra for cooking)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 bananas, sliced.
- 8 nilla wafers(optional)
- mint for garnish (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix together 1 packet of instant pudding with 2 cups of milk (or follow instructions on the box). Add banana extract to the mixture. Let the pudding set.
- Using an electric whisk (or by hand if you’re glutton for punishment), whisk heavy cream, 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until it reaches a stiff peak. Fill a piping bag or ziplock bag with the whipped cream.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup of milk, sparkling water, eggs, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp melted butter until smooth. This crepe batter should be thin. In a non-stick pan on medium heat, add 1/2 tsp of butter, and 1/3 cup of crepe batter. Swirl around the crepe batter until it creates a thin round crepe. Cook each side for just under a minute, until lightly brown, but not crispy.
- Spread a couple tablespoons of pudding over 1 side of the crepe, then fill with the whipped cream and sliced bananas. Fold into thirds.
- Serve with nilla wafers (for some crunch/texture) and garnish with extra bananas, whipped cream, powdered sugar and mint. Enjoy 🙂