Very little makes me happier in the summer than hanging out with friends on a deck, with a cold beverage in hand and something delicious cooking on the barbecue.
This is probably my favourite go-to barbecue dish. It is easy, and packed with so much garlicky, spicy, tangy, South Asian flavour. Its also super healthy. You can eat it on its own, or it also pairs well with rice or quinoa.
Recipe makes 8 kebabs
- 2 cups soy or dairy yogurt
- 2 tbsp tandoori spice blend (equal parts ground paprika, cumin, turmeric, cayenne or chilli powder, ginger and coriander)
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Vegetables, extra firm tofu and/or paneer cut into approx. 1 inch square pieces (I used: 375g brick of paneer, 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 16 Mushrooms, 1 Red Onion)
- In a bowl, mix together yogurt, tandoori spice, garam masala, grated garlic, grated ginger, lemon zest, sugar and salt.
- Marinade vegetables, paneer and/or tofu with mixture for at least 6 hours (overnight is best).
- Skewer vegetables, paneer/tofu. If you are using wood skewers, be sure to pre-soak them in water (otherwise, they burn while cooking).
- Place kebabs on barbeque or grill on medium-high heat (Be sure to oil the grill as needed). Cook each side for approx. 5 minutes, or until lightly charred (or deeply charred, the way I like). Enjoy! 🙂