This post has been a long time coming. I have a dear friend who has been telling me to make this for months, so this goes out to her! ❤
French onion soup is a classic, but usually contains a meat based broth. I made some simple adjustments to make this dish suitable for vegetarians, without losing the depth of flavours.
This is heart warming comfort food. As the weather here is getting colder, I’m loving the idea of being curled up on the couch with a big bowl of this soup and a side of toasted baguette to soak up all the savoury goodness. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 4 servings
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted (substitute: olive oil or margarine)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced (approx. 3 cups)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup of dry white wine (I used chardonnay, but sherry is also a great choice)
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tsp salt, and extra to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- French baguette, cut into 3/4″ diagonal slices
- approx. 1 cup of Gruyere cheese, shredded (substitute: vegan swiss cheese)
- In a pot, add butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat-high heat. Add onions and thyme. Cook with lid on for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn down to medium heat. Remove thyme and add sugar, pinch of pepper and 1 tsp salt. Cook for 30 minutes (be sure to stir every 5 minutes so that onions don’t stick to pot or burn).
- The onions should be deep brown and caramelized. Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn down to medium heat. Stir in flour and add wine followed by vegetable stock. Add a bay leaf and additional salt to taste. Let cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Drizzle each peace of sliced baguette with about 1/4 tbsp of olive oil and toast until golden brown.
- Once soup has thickened, spoon into a ramekin. Top with toasted baguette and shredded cheese. Broil/bake in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbling. Enjoy 🙂