Panna cotta is an Italian dessert that usually consists of cream and gelatin. Its kind of like if jello and pudding had a super awesome love baby.
I decided to substitute the cream and gelatin for coconut milk and agar agar (aka. Kanten)- making this dish 100% vegan. Agar is a vegan gelatin substitute that is made from algae. You can buy it in strips, flakes or powder. My recipe calls for the flakes, like this.
This dish only takes about 10 minutes to make. It is so easy, and once you realize how simple it is to use agar, you’ll start thinking of new things you can put it in.
**Feel free to click on red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 2 servings
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp agar agar flakes (Eden brand)
- 2.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 orange
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- In a pot, pour in coconut milk, and whisk in agar agar, sugar, zest from 1 orange and orange blossom water.
- Cook on medium-high heat until mixture begins to boil, Then turn down to medium heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and pour mixture into bowls, glasses or molds. Place in refrigerator and let set for approx 45 mins.
- Optional: Supreme orange segments by cutting off the skin of the orange, and cutting out segments along the membrane of the orange.
- Remove panna cotta from molds if desired. Garnish with orange segments and enjoy 🙂