I recently had a request to post a taco recipe, and I took at as an opportunity to create something extra special.
These tacos are by no means traditional Mexican fare. I just took flavours that I love and worked on creating something that would be satisfying and full of intense flavour and tanginess. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe below makes approx. 6 tacos
- 1 cup Bourbon BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups soy chicken strips (substitute: any protein of choice)
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 cup red cabbage slaw (recipe below)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (recipe below)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 Tortillas (I used corn tortillas, but wheat flour is fine, too).
- Lime and/or cilantro to garnish
Recipe below makes approx. 2 cups of bbq sauce
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use The Wizard’s brand)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- additional salt to taste
Recipe below makes approx. 2 cups of slaw
- 2 cups of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp mayonaise (substitute: veganaise)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Recipe below makes approx. 2 cups of Pico De Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups of tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup of red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced (optional)
- salt to taste
- Bourbon Barbecue Sauce: Mix all ingredients together and cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Red Cabbage Slaw: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and chill.
- Pico De Gallo: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and chill.
- Bbq Chicken: Add olive oil to a pot on medium-high heat. Add soy chicken, cumin, chipotle and salt to taste. Stir for approx. 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add barbecue sauce and cook for approx. 30 minutes. stir continuously.
- Assembly: Warm tortillas on stove or grill. Fill tortillas with bbq chicken, cabbage slaw and avocados. Top with pico de gallo and enjoy 🙂