This is a recipe I put together when I was in my last year of college and wanted to use every ounce of whatever I had in my fridge before having to resort to microwave mac and cheese.
While I make a pretty soignée mac and cheese, I have to say this dish is (almost) better. The lemony sauce with the tangy capers is the perfect bite.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 2 servings
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup peas
- 2 tbsp pickled capers
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti
- 2 cups pasta water (reserved from after pasta is cooked)
- In a pot, cook spaghetti 1 minute less than instructed on the box. Reserve approx. 1 cup of the pasta water for later.
- In a pan, add oil and butter, onion and garlic on medium heat and cook for approx. 3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add lemon zest, salt, sugar and half and half. Cook for another 3 minutes before adding peas, capers and lemon juice.
- Add pasta and half a cup of pasta water and let cook until sauce reduces. Add additional pasta water if sauce over reduces or becomes dry.
- Garnish with lemon zest before serving and enjoy 🙂