Cosy weather calls for cosy weather food.
This is my spin on a classic pot pie. The flaky crust and hearty vegetable filling is the perfect winter bite. It so yummy, you won’t want to share.
**Feel free to click on red links for photo references**
Recipe makes approx. 6 mini pies
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (substitute: margarine)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup peas, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup broccoli tops (just the small top sprouts)
- 2 cups soy chicken, cut into chunks (substitute: extra firm tofu or extra mushrooms)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (extra to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup half & half (I used low fat) (alternative: plain soy milk)
- Pie crust (recipe below)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chilled butter or vegetable shortening, finely diced
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pie crust: Mix all ingredients together and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and cook potato, carrots and celery on low for 10 minutes. Add peas, mushroom and soy chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a pot or dutch oven, add butter, thyme and pepper, and sauté onions until tender. Slowly stir in flour followed by vegetable stock and half & half.
- Add sautéed vegetables to pot and mix for 5 minutes on medium heat. Liquid in the pot should coat the back of a spoon. If it is too thin, keep cooking. If it is too thick, add some more stock. Right at the end, add broccoli flower
- Roll out pie crust dough (if you have a cold wine bottle, that would be a great utensil for rolling it out…or a regular rolling pin works, too). Use ramekins to measure out how much crust to use for each pie.
- Spoon filling into ramekins, almost completely to the top and place pie crust on top (you can put your pie crust on top in whatever way you want, just make sure there are some small holes on top to let the steam escape)
- Brush olive oil on the top of each pie, and place in a 350F oven for approx. 25 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown. Enjoy 🙂