Last week, my mom and dad brought me some beautiful fresh peas they found at the grocery store. I was really excited, since I absolutely love fresh peas, and I wanted to make something that really highlighted its flavour.
This soup has a light curry flavour, but does not overpower the peas itself. Its a light and flavourful dish that is perfect for this time of the year. It can be served hot or cold.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 cups fresh green peas
- 1 can of coconut milk (approx. 1.5 cups)
- 3 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt (extra to taste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Small handful of mint (approx. 1/4 cup)
- Lemon zest, mint, coconut milk and/or coconut oil for garnish (optional)
- In a pot, add coconut oil, onions, garlic and ginger. Sauté on medium heat for approx. 3 minutes, or until onions and garlic are soft and fragrant.
- Add curry powder, salt and sugar. Sauté for another 3 minutes then add lemon juice and lemon zest and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the can of coconut milk, and fill the can up with water and add that as well. Next add the peas and simmer on medium heat for approx. 8 minutes (or until peas are cooked through).
- Add mixture and fresh mint to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve soup and garnish with mint, coconut oil and/or coconut milk as desired. Enjoy 🙂