First post of 2018. I wanted something classic, heartwarming and seasonal to start off the year. This creamy soup is completely vegan. Its also easy and inexpensive to make.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
- 3 leeks (bottom part only), chopped
- 4 medium potatoes (approx. 4 cups), diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Cracked black pepper
- Ground nutmeg
- In a stock pot or large pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat and add leeks. Sauté for approx. 4 minutes (until slightly translucent but not brown)
- Add garlic and potatoes. Sauté for 5 more minutes
- Add 3 cups of stock, salt and black pepper. Simmer for 15 mins with lid on.
- Add additional 2 cups of stock and simmer for 15 more minutes, or until potatoes are soft (can easily be mashed).
- Pour contents into blender, and blend until smooth. The consistency should be like heavy cream (viscous but coasting the back of a spoon). If the mixture is too thick, add additional stock as required. (If there is not enough stock, the texture will become gluey, which is not what we want).
- Pour into bowls, garnish with chives and nutmeg as desired. Enjoy 🙂