I’m sure like everyone else, I’ve been noticing and influx of “zoodle” and other vegetable noodle recipes were out there. I won’t lie, a lot of these recipes didn’t seem all that appealing to me, but I had a few sweet potatoes in my pantry, and thought I’d try it out and see if it was worth the hype. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I can’t speak on the integrity of other vegetables, but these sweet potato noodles were really tasty, and actually kept their integrity as a traditional noodle/pasta substitute. For those that have never “sprialized” anything, you can either purchase pre-prepped noodles at the store, or you can use a handy device.
I paired the sweet potato noodles with a rich and flavourful stewed mushroom sauce. This dish can easily be made vegan.
**Feel free to click on the red links for photo references**
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and spiralized
- 2 lbs mushrooms, sliced thick (I used a mix of shiitake, oyster and cremini)
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled
- 1 cup of yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey or agave nectar
- 4 leaves of sage, finely chopped
- small handful of parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- In a pan, add butter (or margarine) with 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and stir until all mushrooms are coated
- Sauté mushrooms for 5 minutes before adding garlic and onions. Let cook on medium-high heat for 20 mins, stirring only once every 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, sage and honey (or agave nectar). Sauté for another 10 minutes, stirring only periodically.
- Add white wine, and cook down for approx. 5 minutes until alcohol has cooked off, and the consistency is creamy. Add salt to taste and transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add remaining tbsp of olive oil, sweet potato and 1/2 cup of water. Ad a lid to the pan, and gently cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so. You want the noodles to soften, but still have a bite to them, so they don’t turn to mush or fall apart.
- Add the mushroom mixture into the pot with the sweet potato noodles and gently mix together. Garnish with parsley and enjoy 🙂